Calling all sweet-toothed gluten free foodies…
There is absolutely no reason that you can’t enjoy a nice cup of your favorite ice cream or soft serve if you’re allergic to gluten or have Celiacs disease.
You just need to stay on your toes!
When it comes to enjoying a nice sundae or cup of ice cream at one of your favorite gluten free ice cream parlors or shops, there are a few things that you definitely need to watch out on, especially if you’re allergic. (this isn’t too important for anyone on a non-medical gluten free diet… so you can just skip on down to the ice cream parlors).
Okay, let’s get this thing rollin’.
7 Tips for Safe Gluten Free Ice Cream Indulgence
Here are 7 gluten free ice cream parlor tips you definitely need to consider and better, implement.
1. Be sure to stick to original flavors of ice cream (chocolate, vanilla, strawberry) because these are always the safest choices ingredient-wise.
2. Always ask the ice cream server what exactly is in the ice cream, including a list of all known ingredients.
3. As for your server to change gloves and use a completely clean ice cream scooper, which will make sure that there aren’t any glutenous remnants.
4. If possible, request your ice cream to be scooped out of a fresh container, which will help reduce the risk of cross contamination.
5. Just to be safe, avoid any toppings which have a chance of being mixed up together.
6. Stick to soft serve which is always safer than scooped ice cream. (Just watch out for any of the soft serve machines that have 2 flavors capable of “twisting.” One flavor may contain gluten.)
7. Avoid the cones. Yes, this is silly of me to put this here but there is probably at least one person who doesn’t know if cones are gluten free or not. So this is for you 😉
BONUS: You should always have this amazing book on you at all times. It could save your life (I at least think so 🙂 )
Hopefully these tips will help you out during your next ice cream shop adventure.
Your tummy will thank you!
Gluten Free Ice Cream Parlors and Shops
Be prepared for a haven of gluten free ice cream treats, milkshakes, sundaes, and more. Just be sure to implement the tips I mentioned above.
Ben and Jerry’s
According to an email I receive from the Ben and Jerry’s corporate office, ingredients in the ice cream change often so there isn’t a complete list of gluten free flavors available. However, the staff will be willing to help assist you the next time you swing by one of their Shops. For more info, click here.
Brooklyn’s Ice Cream Factory
The only thing you need to avoid here is just the waffle cones.
Carvel Ice Cream
For the most part, most of the Carvel ice creams are gluten free, especially the soft served ones.
Cold Stone Creamery
Most ice cream from Carvel is gluten free minus a few exceptions. Where the tricky part comes in is when you start to add mix-ins, in which some contain gluten. Plus, since the ice cream is mixed on a cold stone that is shared with ALL flavors and mix-ins, the threat of being glutened is large. I go into more detail in the menu below.
Culver’s is widely known for their delicious ice cream. And best of all, their famous vanilla soft serve is gluten free.
Vanilla soft-serve is always a safe bet here. The tricky part is when you start ordering a blizzard which isn’t recommended for those with allergies. However, there are some gluten free blizzard options that you can take advantage of, which can be found in the menu below.
Cookie’s N Cream are the only dots that contain gluten. Let me know if there have been any new developments by leaving a comment below. Thank you!
There are actually 25+ gluten free flavors of Haagen Dazs ice cream that you can enjoy. See the full list below.
Yes, TCBY is on this list even though there are known for frozen yogurt. However, there are some delicious hand-scooped ice cream options that you can also order.
Did I miss one? Do you have any new suggestions?
If you would like to suggest another great gluten free ice cream parlor and shop that’s not on this list, please leave a comment below or send a tweet to @UrbanTastebuds. Thanks!